The Rycote Practice

Thame Health Centre
Close this search box.

Private referrals

If your GP thinks you need specialist treatment and you want to pay for it privately, they will write a letter of referral to a private consultant or specialist explaining your condition and your medical history in exactly the same way.

If you have private medical or health insurance and would like to use this to cover the costs of your treatment, it may be sensible to check your policy to find out:

  • if your policy covers the treatment you need
  • whether your insurance company accepts consultant referrals from GPs or if it has its own list of consultants
  • when you need to contact your insurance company to tell them you’ve been referred for treatment

If you make a claim for treatment under your private medical insurance, some sections of the claim form will probably need to be completed by a doctor. In most cases, the doctor who provides your treatment will be the best person to complete the form, because they will have the information required. Please be aware that if you ask your your GP to complete this form there may be a charge.